Just Us

Two Soon-To-Be Southern Belles

Thursday, July 06, 2006

NO-Title

Lea and I never really have titles, so I just thought I would put that as my title today.



The clock ticks away; 9:17


p.m.


I want to write, I want to think
I can write, I can think…
about…
sleep.

The softness of the bed
The way it conforms to my body
Like a drop of water on a still lake.

The dream-like reality of my pillow,
Ethereal as a cloud.

The comforter comforting me like a mother’s hand,
Quieting my soul with its soft fingers of fluff and cotton.

The creaks of my bed-frame singing to me
“Go to sleep”
“Go to sleep”
in a child-like pitch of love and loneliness.

My blanket, rubbing against my face,
like my papa’s stubble
so soothing and so relaxing.

The clock still runs, never stopping for the tired.
9:26, and my bed still far away.
My heart yearns for the beauty of my simple bed,
My feet yearn for a resting place.
Soon it will come, soon my heart will be satisfied.

The moon rises in the night,
My bed is calling and I shall answer.

Sleep

4 Comments:

  • At July 07, 2006 4:48 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    My Mom would love this poem. She loves her bed so much. She says it is her favorite place. I love the comparison of your bed to your parents, evoking child-like security and comfort. Well done!

     
  • At July 21, 2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said…

    our poor little blog is suffering from neglect. Don't worry, one of us will come up with a poem sooner or later. hopefully sooner...

     
  • At July 29, 2006 10:02 PM, Blogger steveswife said…

    Just don't write a poem about leaving home. I only have so much kleenex in the house . . .

     
  • At July 30, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said…

    don't worry...I think that topic is off-limits for a few years. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License