Just Us

Two Soon-To-Be Southern Belles

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My Turn

My turn to post something...

I like to freewrite sometimes and this is one that I did last spring - it isn't a poem, so to speak, and the stream of consciousness style can be hard to follow - but it's really good to get everything out. Again, I have no title. I'm not really a title person.


This place of crickets churning green lacy leaves they said you breathed here in the red mud that squelched against your Perfectly smooth skin. And I remember? or do I wonder if that is why I can’t remember, I can’t remember where I was born. Sometimes it is in that place in the mud at your feet and the hours chime in birdsong through the heavy, sultry air. Sometimes all I can see is this whirlpool of leaves and sky and clouds and so I wonder but don’t let the pain get me this time, take away the pain this time. I feel it so close it is my heartbeat but maybe it isn’t maybe it is just the echo of my heart and really I am fine. The place I was born, they told me the dawn screamed and fell into the ocean, they told me a whirlpool of watercolors accompanied my beginning chord. And would they lie to me, I ask, like you have? They said watercolors accompanied the concertmasters’ ‘A’. Did you live and die here, in this glorified mud? Or was it all the dream of the creation story that falters across crinkled, ancient papers and whispers in dying ink.

5 Comments:

  • At July 04, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said…

    have you ever read "Mrs. Dalloway" or "The Hours"? both are stream-of-conciousness works. I wouldn't recommend the hours, but the other one is fairly good, just depressing. I love that style of writing. when I read this style I actually feel like the thoughts of the character are my thoughts. I have never felt it before, really. it is a bizarre feeling that I only get when reading this style of writing and I love it!! good job

     
  • At July 05, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    who are the authors? are they novels or short stories? I love this style too - The Sound and the Fury by William Faullkner is written completely this way, I highly recommend it.

     
  • At July 05, 2006 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lea...
    That is a fabulous piece of writing!! I loved reading it, as well as your sestina poem. E, I loved your soul and Jamaican poems too! Keep it up girls!
    ~Rebecca

     
  • At July 06, 2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said…

    Mrs. D is written by Virginia Woolfe. (sp.?) The Hours is written by Michael Cunningham, I believe. The Hours is well-written, but has pretty horrible content. It is in response to Mrs. D. There are three characters: Virginia Woolfe, Laura Brown, and a current day Mrs. D. All three are from different parts of the century, but their lives are all connected through the book "Mrs Dalloway". It's actually really cool, in a way, and the book and movie are both excellent, but I can't recommend them. If you do read it, though, I would suggest reading Mrs. D first in order to kind of understand The Hours.

     
  • At July 07, 2006 4:47 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    I have never read Virginia Woolf, but I really should since everyone talks about her. There is so much I want to read!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License